Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's how they got ready for the Third-World

Well, here's a shocker:

A jury has ruled the Lorillard Tobacco Co. tried to entice black children to become smokers by handing out free cigarettes and has awarded $71 million in compensatory damages to the estate and son of a woman who died of lung cancer.


This was done during the 1950s. I grew up white, middle-class, and in small town 'Murica, so while my father smoked, I never got freebies.

No, we just had to get buy on buying candy cigarettes and pretending we were old enough to smoke...getting some of us ready for the time we actually would. Of course, I'm in my mid-40s and by the time I reached adulthood it was a lot less cool for my generation. I've also never liked the sensation of inhaling smoke so I wasn't even an occasional pot smoker in college. But I do wonder what would have happened if I was 20 years older.

Still, this method definitely came in handy when the Tobacco Companies had to hook kids overseas.

4 comments:

Taylor Wray said...

Not surprising at all for Big Tobacco. I look forward to the day when they realize marijuana will be a much bigger moneymaker and they start pushing a drug that DOESN'T kill people.

Olives and Arrows said...

I've also never liked the sensation of inhaling smoke so I wasn't even an occasional pot smoker in college.

there...See what I mean, Hedley?

Just because you're an indentured servant of extreme leftism doesn't necessarily mean you have to waste your life smoking the Janjaweed.
You could learn a thing or two from Attaturk.

pansypoo said...

log pretzels made good cigars.

indian's greatest revenge.

Mr. Hedley Bowes said...

What I put to my lips is far superior to smoking your own cock, Olives.