Sunday, March 22, 2009

Remember that time

Two days before the inaugural when a group of musical stars, including Pete Seeger stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, when the President-Elect was 20 yards away and sang these lyrics?

As I was walkin' - I saw a sign there
And that sign said - private property
But on the other side .... it didn't say nothin!
Now that side was made for you and me!

(Chorus...this land is your land...)

In the squares of the city - In the shadow of the steeple
Near the relief office - I see my people
And some are grumblin' and some are wonderin'
If this land's still made for you and me.


I'd like to think that Obama, Geithner and Summers think that those lyrics mean something. I don't actually have too much hope for the latter two, but the first one, I'd like to see some evidence.

Otherwise, it's starting to look like:

1. Profit
2. Completely fuck up by having your profit equal exploitation
3. Say you'll fix the fuck up that you are responsible for
4. Profit, slightly less
5. Repeat

No comments: