Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Dodd Filibuster

Glenn Greenwald recognizes one way to show support for the Dodd filibuster:

Given the imminent Iowa vote, Dodd's presidential campaign may not last that much longer. But it is worthwhile to enable him over the next several weeks to continue to bring attention to these issues, about which he is quite obviously genuinely passionate (and is thus willing to alienate many of his own Senate colleagues by doing this). If you're so inclined, you can also express your support for Dodd's actions -- one of the few inspirational acts of this year by any national political figure -- by donating to his campaign as well.


I don't have any hope that either Clinton or Obama will do what they should and at least take a short break to support the filibuster, let alone Biden who has barely any greater potential in the caucus than does Dodd. Wouldn't it be nice if they all took a break as a demonstration of solidarity? Alas, instead we find out what these candidates are made of. So far only Dodd has shown what it really means to lead and stand on principle.

As for me, I can do better than give money. Dodd wouldn't be my first choice under ordinary circumstances when I go to my caucus site on January 3, 2008 but I have a real opportunity to reward good behavior and intend to do so.

No comments: