Saturday, November 17, 2007

Aw, Jeebus

Now Tweety is copying O'Reilly and having Body Language experts on.

All in the name of being the world's most expectorating misogynist. It's truly disgusting.

Digby gets it just right:


Matthews and the rest of the MSNBC varsity club don't have any self-awareness, so I know they also don't have a clue about what's driving this pathetic show of misogyny, but these particular comments are not new to me. I suspect I'm not alone in having been told by men over the years to "correct" my voice --- that it's too strident, too shrill, too grating. That I was being "emotional" and a little bit "hysterical." "Shhhh", "Tone it down, you're hurting my ears." "Settle down." I would guess that most opinionated, smart women who've worked in corporate America (or had a bad boyfriend) know what I'm talking about.

It took me a long time to realize that it tends to happen when I'm winning an argument and that it's actually a bit of misdirection which often, depending on your personality and self-confidence, results in either getting spitting mad or wilting. It can be extremely effective at derailing a good point --- and infantalizing women, particularly when it's done in public.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was
super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but
I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips for first-time blog writers? I'd
certainly appreciate it.
My web site > real way to make money online