Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I've changed my mind

I thought that low approval ratings might cause the White House to try to nominate a less extreme nominee to the Supreme Court.

But, obviously, I was, for that moment, forgetting history.

The Rove business has accelerated this process and the need to get a new story on the burner to take the heat off of Bush's Brain. Naturally, this requires something to keep the base happy.

Bush is going to appoint an extremist, I have no fucking doubt about it. Better to get the heat juiced up about something else.

In the overall picture, this is as stupid as fighting a war without evidence and with poor planning.

So naturally, it was foolish of me to expect anything else.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but why would they switch gameplans? A Supreme Court nominee will dominate headlines for a couple days no matter who it is, but to dominate news cycles it has to be a real kook. I'm betting on the kook.

No comments: